|VEGAN VIETNAMESE PHO|
Pho is Vietnamese noodle soup. It is usually made with beef or chicken. It includes rice noodles, basil, mint, lime and bean sprouts. The secret to a good pho is the broth which, in my view, should be fragrant and fresh.
This soup is soothing and relaxing. Remember to make it when you are feeling tight and irritable.
8 cups water or vegetable broth
1 star anise
1 1" cinnamon stick
4 fennel seeds
1 cardamon pod
1/8 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 onion, fried in sesame oil (or olive oil)
2 Tablespoons shoyu
2 teaspoons ginger juice
Bring the water, fried onions and spices to a slow boil over medium heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the shoyu and ginger juice.
2 cups rice noodles, cooked
1 cup pan fried tempeh or tofu
Plenty of blanched greens such as bok choy, chinese broccoli, kale, collards, nappa or combinations
1 lime, cut into eighths
1 cup bean sprouts
green onion for garnish
fresh mint and basil leaves for garnish
- pan fry slices of tempeh or tofu or both in sesame or olive oil. Season with shoyu. Remove from heat and place in a bowl;
- pour boiling water over 2 cups or rice noodles (white or brown) and soak until tender; place in serving bowl;
- blanch green or greens and place in a serving bowl
- thinly slice the green onion
- rinse and set out the bean sprouts
- rinse and dry mint and basil leaves and place in a small serving bowl.
|FRIED TEMPEH, LIME, BLANCHED GREENS AND GREEN ONION|